Last Updated on September 17, 2022 by Jeremy
Disclaimer: This post contains sponsored, advertorial content. Our site uses demographic data, email opt-ins, display advertising, and affiliate links. Please check out our Terms and Conditions. Pricing, operating hours, or menus may have changed since our initial visit and may not be reflected in subsequent updates. Please confirm these directly with any business or attraction prior to visiting.
This post was sponsored by the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council.
When it comes to enjoying Pittsburgh's art scene, there is way more going on than in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. From north to south, east to west, there are many stellar places to check out the arts in the city and the greater Pittsburgh metro area!
As such, we are excited to partner with the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council for the release of their Pittsburgh Neighborhood Arts Map series, showcasing many staple art venues, art installations, and other hidden gems in and around the city via their website, aptly named Artsburgh!
So in this one, we thought we'd share a bit more about the South Pittsburgh Arts Map and highlight some of our favorite spots you really should check out the next time you head to the South Hills and beyond!
Find a New Favorite Gallery and Theater South of Pittsburgh
Did you know there are nearly two dozen theaters, galleries, and other art installations worth checking out in the South Hills of Pittsburgh and beyond?
The interactive map covering the south of Pittsburgh on Artsburgh offers a great way to explore gems such as the following venues and organizations:
- Carnegie Music Hall of Homestead – A gorgeous and historic theater that attracts some of the best performers in the world.
- Pittsburgh Musical Theater – An educational organization all about youth development of the arts.
- City Theatre Company – An intimate performing arts theater in South Side that features several plays throughout the season.
- Confluence Ballet Co – A local ballet company that was only recently established in 2021!
- Brew House Association – A 2,700 sq ft gallery with local exhibitions in the iconic Brew House building in South Side.
- Industrial Arts Workshop – A second organization looking to promote youth arts with a focus on industrial creations through fabrication and welding classes!
- Bulgarian Macedonian National Educational and Cultural Center – Preserving the tradition and arts of the Balkan countries of Bulgaria and Macedonia.
- Rivers of Steel Heritage Corp – An organization preserving Pittsburgh's historic sites like Carrie Blast Furnaces and The Pump House from the 1892 Battle of Homestead.
- UnSmoke Systems Artspace – A public gallery in Braddock featuring rotating exhibitions.
- Pittsburgh Area Theatre Organ Society – A historical society focusing on preserving theatre pipe organs and offering periodic performances of a 3/19 Wurlitzer at Keystone Oaks High School.
- South Hills Chorale – Mt. Lebanon-base chorale featuring 90+ members with performances in the South Hills.
- South Park Theatre – An open-air theatre in South Park that features live plays and musicals for all ages.
- …and so much more!
While the South Pittsburgh map covers city neighborhoods like the West End, South Side, Hazelwood, and more, this one extends out to the nearby boroughs of Carnegie, McMurray, McKeesport, and Canonsburg, too!
In Carnegie, you can check out some great spots like the Off the WALL Productions, Artsmiths of Pittsburgh Arts & Cultural Center, and Stage 62. In McMurray and Canonsburg you can see Texture Contemporary Ballet and Little Lake Theatre Company. In McKeesport, you can even check out the McKeesport Little Theater!
As our goal here at Discover the Burgh is to help you find the best things to do in the city, we have to admit this new map from the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council does that and more. With maps in Downtown Pittsburgh, North, South, and East of the city, you can find dozens of great places for the arts in minutes!
Looking for more great places to check out the arts in Pittsburgh? Be sure to head over to Artsburgh for more!
Pittsburgh Discounts and Promotions
In the mood for a sale? Or perhaps you simply want to try out something new? Check out our latest Pittsburgh promotions below!
Get 10% off clothing from Steel City using code: DISCOVERTHEBURGH
Go on a day tour in Pittsburgh with one of the many options at Viator!
Take 10% off orders from Strip District-based Colombino using code: DISCOVERTHEBURGH
Order a local food box from Harvie and take $25 off your first order on us!
Are you a local business that would like featured? Get in touch here!