Last Updated on August 16, 2022 by Jeremy
Disclaimer: This post contains sponsored, advertorial content. Our site uses demographic data, email opt-ins, display advertising, and affiliate links. Please check out our Terms and Conditions. Pricing, operating hours, or menus may have changed since our initial visit and may not be reflected in subsequent updates. Please confirm these directly with any business or attraction prior to visiting.
This post was sponsored by the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council.
You know we love Pittsburgh's thriving arts scene, and try and check out a new museum, gallery, or show several times a month.
As such, we are really excited to partner with the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council for the release of their Pittsburgh Neighborhood Arts Map series, showcasing many staple art venues, art installations, and other hidden gems in and around the city via their website, aptly named Artsburgh!
So in this one, we thought we'd share a bit more about the Downtown Pittsburgh Arts Map, created in partnership with the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, and highlight some of our favorite spots you really should check out!
Downtown Pittsburgh Arts Scene is Thriving
Did you know there are more than two dozen theaters, galleries, and other art installations worth checking out in downtown Pittsburgh proper?
The interactive downtown map on Artsburgh offers a great way to explore gems such as the following venues and organizations:
- Heinz Hall – Home of the Pittsburgh Symphony, Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra, and the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh
- The Byham Theater – Features touring shows with performers from around the world
- The Benedum Center – A world-class theater for touring shows, the Pittsburgh CLO, and more
- Greer Cabaret Theater – An intimate theater featuring shows, live music, and theatrical performances
- The O'Reilly Theater – Another intimate theater downtown where the seats wrap around the stage on three sides
- Attack Theatre – A dance studio focusing on interdisciplinary arts
- Pittsburgh Playwrights Theatre Company – An African American theater company hosting culturally diverse plays
- Harris Theater – An art house theater showcasing independent movies in the Cultural District
- Pittsburgh Playhouse – Theater space located on the campus of Point Park University
- CAPA – Creative and Performing Arts Magnet school for students in grades 6-12
- August Wilson African American Cultural Center – One of the largest cultural centers in the country focusing on the African American experience
- Wood Street Galleries and SPACE Gallery – Two stellar galleries managed by the Cultural Trust with frequently rotating exhibits
- Bricolage – A production company pushing the boundaries of immersive theater
- Liberty Magic – A dedicated venue to all things magic that brings in some of the best magicians in the world
- …and many, many more!
The Downtown art map also extends out towards the Hill District, Strip District, Lawrenceville, and Millvale as well with gems like the Ujamaa Collective (the Hill District), the Heinz History Center (the Strip District), the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre (the Strip District), the Clemente Museum (Lower Lawrenceville), Contemporary Craft (Upper Lawrenceville), and the Maxo Vanka Murals (Millvale), to name a few.
As our goal here at Discover the Burgh is to help you find the best things to do in the city, we have to admit this new map from the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council does that and more. With maps in Downtown Pittsburgh, North, South, and East of the city, you are able to find dozens upon dozens of new gems with just a few clicks!
Looking for more great places to check out the arts in Pittsburgh? Be sure to head over to Artsburgh for more!