Last Updated on by Jeremy
When it comes to happy hour specials in Pittsburgh, just about every restaurant and bar has them. Restaurants just love offering discounts during everyone's favorite time of day, and we're not going to complain about that in the slightest.
Although we could highlight every single happy hour special the city has to offer, we only want to look for the best. In our Pittsburgh cocktail happy hour post, we focused purely on the restaurants and bars that offer craft cocktails at significantly reduced prices (upwards of 50%). In this beer happy hour guide, we wanted to take a similar approach and only share the locations that have a good selection of Pittsburgh breweries with discounts to match.
So while we may not share everywhere you can go to find a $2 Yuengling or Bud Light, we do want to give you the best places to check out when you want some of the local brewers' finest creations!
One of the hottest restaurants in the Strip District these days is Smallman Galley. This restaurant is run as a food hall / incubator hybrid where four stellar chefs are brought in every year-and-a-half to learn the skills they need to open their own restaurant in the city. We've given rave reviews to this one in our formal restaurant review, but today we want to focus on their happy hour as it is the only one that makes our list for best cocktail and beer happy hours.
Why is that? Well, at Smallman Galley's happy hour, Tuesday to Friday from 5:00 to 7:00pm, everything is 50% off.
This special alone isn't enough to warrant their feature on this list, but the fact that their beer menu is almost entirely local does. During recent visits we've sampled beer from Draai Laag (now known as Strange Roots), Grist House, Brew Gentlemen, Helltown, and everything in between. Odds are good if it is a Pennsylvania brewery, Smallman Galley will carry their beer at some point in time. The 50% discount during happy hour is simply the icing on the cake.
Federal Galley falls in line behind Smallman Galley (their sister restaurant) in being one of the premier spots in the city for Pennsylvania beer.
Like Smallman Galley, Federal Galley has a strong presence in local beer. Of their thirty beers on tap a solid majority are from around the state and a good chunk of those are local to Pittsburgh- of course. We'd give the nod to Smallman for having more Pittsburgh breweries in recent visits (this could obviously change in the future), but the fact that the entire menu is from Pennsylvania is enough to warrant our attention.
Throw in their 50% off special at happy hour, 4:30 to 6:30 on Monday to Friday, and you can try several local beers for cheap!
SYN Taqueria + Pizzeria
SYN Taqueria + Pizzeria opened up at the neighborhood boundaries of East Liberty and Friendship in 2019 and focuses on, as its name suggests, tacos and peach. But what is even better about this spot is that they have 40 beers on draft, with the vast majority focusing on all things Pittsburgh!
During their happy hour, which takes place Monday to Friday from 4:30 to 6:30pm, guests can sample 10oz or 16oz pours (depending on ABV) for half off- one of the best deals for local beer in Pittsburgh!
The grilled cheese focused restaurant known as The Yard has locations in Shadyside, Market Square, and Mt. Lebanon set to fill your need whenever you need a cheese-forward sandwich. But to us, the best thing about The Yard is their roughly 40 or so taps that can be found at each location- with many regional beers on tap!
Each of the locations of The Yard has different happy hour specials (check them out at the location links in the last paragraph), but generally include a 1/2 draft list on weeknights (and sometimes Sunday nights) plus nightly specials such as local pint night, half off apps, and more. Not bad for a cheap dinner with good local beer!
Burgh'ers is a burger and brewery combo with two locations- one in Zelienople and one right in the heart of Lawrenceville. While this one first grew in popularity due to its burgers, they have since expanded considerably with housemade craft beers with an array of styles.
This particular spot got into the happy hour game in 2019 to feature half off all draft beers Monday to Friday from 2:58pm to 5:58pm!
As far as happy hours are concerned, we'll never say no to half off. When its local beer? Even better.
Pig Iron in Cranberry is a modern gastropub that takes craft beer to a new level. This one features 66 beers on draft, with roughly half being from Pennsylvania!
During their happy hour, Monday to Friday from 5pm to 7pm in the bar area, all beer is $2 off. While this is not the best deal highlighted in our list, it gets our seal of approval when factored in with their monster selection. Don't miss this one when exploring north of the city!
Spirit and Slice Island Pizza
Tucked away off the main drag in Lawrenceville in an old Moose lodge is Spirit, a combination bar, pizza shop, and performance venue that is about the perfect definition of dive bar as you can imagine but with much better food.
What sets this one apart from the rest is that their beer menu is almost entirely local, with the only exceptions from our most recent visit being Straub and Pizza Boy- both from within the state of Pennsylvania. With about a dozen beers on draft, we have to give them a nod for keeping it all close to home.
Happy hour here is from 5 to 8pm on Tuesday to Friday (late happy hour, yes!) and all of their draft beers are 50% off. Even better? If you order a full pizza you get a free salad and side of garlic knots too. Who knew going out for pizza could be this good?
Other Happy Hour Specials Worth Checking Out
When it comes down to it, there are many amazing places in Pittsburgh worth checking out for happy hour if you’re in the mood to try a few unique local beers. Although the above offer some of the best specials in the city, the following are also worth checking out if you are looking for specials on local beer during everyone’s favorite time of the day!
- Butterjoint – The annexed bar of the fine dining restaurant Legume in North Oakland offers $4 draft beers during their weekly happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30pm. This beer menu has a larger regional rotation than most, but only amounts to roughly three to four Pittsburgh breweries at a time.
- Independent Brewing Company – This bar has a fantastic rotating draft list featuring roughly eight western Pennsylvania breweries. Daily happy hours are from 5:00 to 6:00pm and feature $2 off draft beers.
- Emporio Meatballs – This restaurant in Sienna Mercato offers off half off drafts from 4 to 6pm on weeknights. While the beer selection is mostly not-local, a half dozen or so local breweries often makes the draft list.
- Industry Public House – Industry Public House features one of the largest regional draft beer lists in the city, with several local options, and their happy hour specials on Monday to Friday from 4:30 to 6:30pm offers $2 off all drafts!
- Proper Brick Oven – This delicious artisan pizza shop in downtown Pittsburgh has 30 taps with many local favorites. Although the happy hour is only $1 off drafts from 4:00 to 6:00pm on weeknights, their large selection is worth the mention.
- 412 Brewery – This North Side brewery offers a Thursday and Friday happy hour for $4 draft beers from 3 to 5pm- great for an early beer!
- Grist House Brewery – As another one of the few local breweries in the city to offer happy hour specials, we would be doing you a disservice to not mention Grist House's $1 off pints from 5:00 to 7:00pm on Wednesdays through Fridays. Not the greatest of deals, but a discount is a discount!
- Bier's Pub – This North Side burger joint features a draft list of Pennsylvania breweries and a $2 off pints happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30pm on weekdays (plus 50% off most appetizers!). Bier's Pub is also home to War Streets Brewing so several of the beers on draft here are from them as well!
- Caliente Pizza and Draft House – This international award-winning local pizza chain has a 50% off special for all draft beer from 4:30 to 6:30pm on weeknights. The draft list may be hit or miss with local selections at times depending on location (spots like their Monroeville location have a bit better local selections than the Bloomfield store we go to). Check out their calendar of nightly specials as well!
- City Works – This Market Square bar and restaurant features 90 beers on top with 25% sourced locally to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania at large (roughly 20 beers at any given time). Their happy hour special runs from 4 to 6pm Monday to Friday and includes $4 rotating drafts. While we cannot confirm how many of those 20 local beers are on special in any given day, odds are good you may find a few here!
Check back soon as we add more amazing happy hour specials to our list of favorites! If you have a favorite happy hour that isn’t featured, comment below to let us know about it too!