When it comes to happy hour specials in Pittsburgh, just about every restaurant and bar has them. Restaurants just love offering discounts during everyone’s favorite time of day, and we’re not going to complain about that in the slightest.
Although we could highlight every single happy hour special the city has to offer, we only want to look for the best. In our Pittsburgh cocktail happy hour post, we focused purely on the restaurants and bars that offer craft cocktails at significantly reduced prices (upwards of 50%). In this beer happy hour guide, we wanted to take a similar approach and only share the locations that have a good selection of Pittsburgh breweries with discounts to match.
So while we may not share everywhere you can go to find a $2 Yuengling or Bud Light, we do want to give you the best places to check out when you want some of the local brewers’ finest creations!
One of the hottest restaurants in the Strip District these days is Smallman Galley. This restaurant is run as a food hall / incubator hybrid where four stellar chefs are brought in every year-and-a-half to learn the skills they need to open their own restaurant in the city. We’ve given rave reviews to this one in our formal restaurant review, but today we want to focus on their happy hour as it is the only one that makes our list for best cocktail and beer happy hours.
Why is that? Well, at Smallman Galley’s happy hour, Tuesday to Friday from 5:00 to 7:00pm, everything is 50% off.
This special alone isn’t enough to warrant their feature on this list, but the fact that their beer menu is entirely local does. During recent visits we’ve sampled beer from Draai Laag, Grist House, Brew Gentlemen, Helltown, and everything in between. Odds are good if it is a Pittsburgh brewery, Smallman Galley will carry one or more of their beers on the menu at any given time. The 50% discount during happy hour is simply the icing on the cake.
Federal Galley falls in line behind Smallman Galley (their sister restaurant) in being one of the premier spots in the city for Pennsylvania beer.
Like Smallman Galley, Federal Galley has a strong presence in local beer. Of their thirty beers on tap a solid majority are from around the state and a good chunk of those are local to Pittsburgh- of course. We’d give the nod to Smallman for having more Pittsburgh breweries in recent visits (this could obviously change in the future), but the fact that the entire menu is from Pennsylvania is enough to warrant our attention.
Throw in their 50% off special at happy hour, 4:30 to 6:30 on Monday to Friday, and you can try several local beers for cheap!
The grilled cheese focused restaurant known as The Yard has locations in Shadyside and Market Square set to fill your need whenever you need a cheese-forward sandwich. But to us, the best thing about The Yard is their roughly 40 or so taps that can be found at each location- with many regional beers on tap!
When compared to other specials on this list, The Yard’s is somewhat lacking as local pint night is only on Mondays from 7:00 to 10:00pm. But in addition to $4 local pints they make up for it with half off all grilled cheese sandwiches, meaning you can have a few rounds of local beer and a full dinner for about $15. Thursday nights from 7:00 to midnight have a similar special where you can receive a burger and a select beer for $10 as well. Not bad!
il Tetto at Sienna Mercato
il Tetto is the rooftop beer garden at Sienna Mercato in downtown Pittsburgh. This bar boasts a gorgeous skyline view thanks to their retractable glass roof, as well as a 30+ count draft list with roughly 50% of beers being local to Pittsburgh and the state of Pennsylvania at any given time.
Their happy hour is $5 drafts Monday to Friday from 4pm to 6pm- a bit more expensive than most of our primary features here. But for the quantity and city view we still think this one is great!
Full Pint Wild Side
It is not very common to see a local brewery offer a happy hour special, but at Full Pint Wild Side in Lawrenceville this is exactly what you get.
Starting at 5pm on Monday to Friday Full Pint Wild Side offers 50% off all drafts that are available. Just be sure to have a round of White Lightning for us while you’re there.
Spirit and Slice Island Pizza
Tucked away off the main drag in Lawrenceville in an old Moose lodge is Spirit, a combination bar, pizza shop, and performance venue that is about the perfect definition of dive bar as you can imagine but with much better food.
What sets this one apart from the rest is that their beer menu is almost entirely local, with the only exceptions from our most recent visit being Straub and Pizza Boy- both from within the state of Pennsylvania. With about a dozen beers on draft, we have to give them a nod for keeping it all close to home.
Happy hour here is from 5 to 8pm on Tuesday to Friday (late happy hour, yes!) and all of their draft beers are 50% off. Even better? If you order a full pizza you get a free salad and side of garlic knots too. Who knew going out for pizza could be this good?
Other Happy Hour Specials Worth Checking Out
When it comes down to it, there are many amazing places in Pittsburgh worth checking out for happy hour if you’re in the mood to try a few unique local beers. Although the above offer some of the best specials in the city, the following are also worth checking out if you are looking for specials on local beer during everyone’s favorite time of the day!
- Butterjoint – The annexed bar of the fine dining restaurant Legume in North Oakland offers $4 draft beers during their weekly happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30pm. This beer menu has a larger regional rotation than most, but only amounts to roughly three to four Pittsburgh breweries at a time.
- Independent Brewing Company – This bar has a fantastic rotating draft list featuring roughly eight western Pennsylvania breweries. Tuesday happy hours are from 5:00 to 7:00pm and feature $2 off draft beers.
- Industry Public House – Industry Public House features one of the largest regional draft beer lists in the city, with several local options, and their happy hour specials on Monday to Friday from 4:30 to 6:30pm offers $2 off all drafts!
- Proper Brick Oven – This delicious artisan pizza shop in downtown Pittsburgh has 30 taps with many local favorites. Although the happy hour is only $1 off drafts from 4:00 to 6:00pm on weeknights, their large selection is worth the mention.
- Grist House Brewery – As another one of the few local breweries in the city to offer happy hour specials, we would be doing you a disservice to not mention Grist House’s $1 off pints from 5:00 to 7:00pm on Wednesdays through Fridays. Not the greatest of deals, but a discount is a discount!
- Bier’s Pub – This North Side burger joint features a draft list of Pennsylvania breweries (most from Pittsburgh) and a $2 off pints happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30pm on weekdays. Bier’s Pub is also home to War Streets Brewing so several of the beers on draft here are from them as well!
- Caliente Pizza and Draft House – This Bloomfield staple pizza joint has a 50% off special for all draft beer from 4:30 to 6:30pm on weeknights. The draft list may be hit or miss with local selections at times, but they always have a few on tap that makes this special worth it. Check out their calendar of nightly specials which also features prime discounts on local favorites!
- City Works – This Market Square bar and restaurant features 90 beers on top with 25% sourced locally to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania at large (roughly 20 beers at any given time). Their happy hour special runs from 4 to 6pm Monday to Friday and includes $4 rotating drafts. While we cannot confirm how many of those 20 local beers are on special in any given day, odds are good you may find a few here!
Check back soon as we add more amazing happy hour specials to our list of favorites! If you have a favorite happy hour that isn’t featured, comment below to let us know about it too!
Like This Post? Share It on Social Media!
Shop for Pittsburgh Products
Book a Pittsburgh Hotel
For our Pittsburgh hotel reviews, click the previous link.
Explore 400+ Destinations on Our Pittsburgh Map!Looking for more places to explore in Pittsburgh? Use our interactive map to read our articles from in and around the city. Click the map icon and then the article link!
Take our map to go! Click here to open our interactive map on Google Maps and star it to save in your favorites.
Map pins used via Creative Commons by Maps Icons Collection