When it comes to drinking in Pittsburgh, you have a lot of options. But if you are looking to go out without spending a lot of money, your first thought may turn to everyone's favorite time of the day- happy hour!
It would be very easy for us to come up with a list of every happy hour special in Pittsburgh, but most would end up being unpalatable beers or daily discounts that aren't that interesting ($1 off a frozen cosmo on Wednesdays is not a good happy hour in our books). Instead, we wanted to focus on the best- we're focusing only on craft cocktails from places that know how to do it right, with a discount to match.
So if you're looking to try a unique and delicious libation in Pittsburgh without emptying your wallet, check out these personal favorites! (If you're looking for beer specials, check out our Pittsburgh beer happy hour article which features some of the best specials for local beer in the city!)
Yes, yes- you all know how much we love Kaya. But there is a reason for that. Beside the food being amazing, Kaya is home to one of the best bars and happy hours in the city with Caribbean inspired cocktails being the main feature.
At Kaya's happy hour, which occurs Monday to Friday from 4:30pm to 6:30pm, all single serving drinks and draft beers are 50% off. Yes- every single cocktail on their menu is half price! So head on down to the Strip District during happy hour and enjoy a Kaya burger and two cocktails for around $25, and thank us later.
You truly cannot beat that.
Now if only they'd bring the Shark Fin back for me…
Read Our Latest Bar and Brewery Reviews
(Articles will open in a new window. Scroll to keep reading.)
La Riviera (formerly Bar Frenchman) is the a la carte restaurant by the folks at the prix fixe Twisted Frenchman in East Liberty (and is located in the same building). Much like the restaurant, the cocktails here are high-end and often experimental in nature.
During our first visit, a selection of the cocktails were themed after the colors of the rainbow and a handy flavor profile chart was available to break the drinks down into their corresponding tastes (“orange” was umami, “blue” was spicy, etc.). But at upwards of $14, the price tag does give you reason to pause (even if they are worth every penny).
Happy hour, which occurs Monday to Friday from 5pm to 7pm, offers the cocktail menu at $8. In most cases this would not warrant a feature in this list alone, but as the seasonal cocktails above run for $14, it is a stellar discount all the same. Go for the deal, but stay for the unique creations!
Wigle Whiskey at the Omni Hotel
Pittsburgh's resident whiskey distillery, Wigle Whiskey, opened a tap room at the Omni William Penn hotel in downtown Pittsburgh in early 2017. To celebrate, they began a happy hour from 5pm to 7pm on Tuesday through Friday with half off select cocktails, flights, and drams (a few exceptions may apply). As this location also offers a build-your-own Old Fashioned option, the 50% off discount makes it a perfect chance to try and see what your favorite flavors are!
Wigle's tasting room at the Omni is located at 530 William Penn Place at the Oliver Street entrance.
Smallman Galley is one of our favorite restaurants in the city due to its unique incubator concept that features four chefs for 12-months as they learn the skills they need to open their own restaurant in the city.
The bar at Smallman Galley features artisan bartenders who certainly live up to their chef based counterparts. The happy hour here includes half off cocktails, wines, and beers (including a robust local menu) Tuesday to Fridays from 5 to 7pm. As the cocktail menu changes often, this is one worth checking out for happy hour time and time again!
Federal Galley is the second restaurant by the folks from Smallman Galley (above), and operates under the same incubator premise. Like Smallman Galley they have four chefs that rotate in and out, and like Smallman Galley they offer a happy hour from 4:30 to 6:30pm on Monday to Friday for 50% off everything.
As far as cocktails are concerned, Federal Galley offers four house creations as well as four inventive takes on the classics that typically run about $10-$11 each.
The plan for the house cocktails are to take on a country theme that will change periodically. Their first batch focused on the Philippines and included cocktails with novel mixers of pandan, ume, ginger, and lychee to name a few which hit it out of the park for us on its own before even accounting for the half off deal (although admittedly several were quite small). A must try for the great happy hour specials!
Federal Galley is located at 200 Children's Way in North Side's Allegheny Commons.
Hidden Harbor is an incredible tiki bar in Squirrel Hill and features a plethora of boat drinks that do not disappoint.
Happy Hour here runs Tuesday through Friday from 5 to 6pm and includes a selection of ten tropical cocktails, such as the painkiller and their cry-muddled mojito, ranging from $5 to $6! Plan for a visit on Wednesdays for Weird Science Wednesdays for a molecular gastronomy oriented cocktail as well!
One of the newer additions to Mount Washington's bar scene is The Summit, and this establishment is quickly becoming one of the top places for craft cocktails in the neighborhood.
Although you may not have a view of Pittsburgh at this one, the bar offers a long list of incredible cocktails with a $6 happy hour special from 5 to 7 pm on weeknights (a discount of $3-$4- tax included) and a pretty impressive food menu to go along with it.
After trying this one, we can certainly say that the restaurant and bar scene on Shiloh Street will never be the same again.
Other Happy Hour Specials Worth Checking Out
When it comes down to it, there are many amazing places in Pittsburgh worth checking out for happy hour if you're in the mood to try a few unique cocktails. Although the above offer some of the best specials in the city, the following are also worth checking out if you are looking for great specials and prices during everyone's favorite time of the day!
- Soba – This Shadyside restaurant focusing on Asian fusion offers select cocktails for $6 during their happy hour from 5 to 7pm, Monday to Friday, in their lounge area only.
- Casbah – The craft cocktails at this fine dining restaurant from big Burrito are $6 during happy hour from 5 to 7pm, Monday to Friday. With drinks ranging from $10-$14 regularly, this is a great discount!
- Needle & Pin – This restaurant features a stellar gin bar and a $6 happy hour on 12 select cocktails (staples plus a few house creations) from 4:30 to 6:30, Monday to Friday and 10pm to midnight on Friday and Saturday.
- Coughlin's Law – This popular gastropub on Mount Washington offers $6 cocktails during happy hour from 5 to 7pm, Monday to Friday (a savings of $2-$3 on average). The restaurant also features daily specials as well for further savings!
- Evangeline – One of the top cocktail bars in the city offers a happy hour on select cocktails for just $6 from 4:30 to 6:30, Tuesday to Friday. A great deal!
- Eleven – Another upscale eatery from big Burrito in the Strip District offers select cocktails and menu items for $7 during their happy hour from 4 to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- Umami – The Japanese izakaya bar Umami in Lawrenceville has select cocktails for $4 to $5 during their happy hour Tuesday to Friday from 4:30 to 6:30!
- Mixtape – Garfield's premier cocktail bar offers a happy hour from 7-9pm (8pm on Friday) with $2 off specials. But considering their prices are good to start and tip is included, this is a great deal for sure!
Check back soon as we add more amazing happy hour specials to our list of favorites! If you have a favorite happy hour that isn't featured, comment below to let us know about it too!
Please note that happy hour specials, pricing, and hours are subject to change. We recommend confirming on each bar's website prior to visiting as their information may have changed since publication. We do our best to stay up-to-date with this, but sometimes we miss them!
Looking for Pittsburgh beer happy hours? Click the previous link to check out our favorites!
Help us out! When visiting local businesses or attractions, be sure to say you found them on Discover the Burgh!
Looking for a Pittsburgh hotel? Check out the following!
- Hampton Inn - Free parking in Downtown
- Embassy Suites - Stellar views in many rooms
- Sheraton Pittsburgh - City view in river view rooms
- Hotel Monaco - Highly rated on TripAdvisor
- Hampton Inn Green Tree - Great value option!
Looking for Pittsburgh products and deals? Check out:
For more products, check out our Pittsburgh shopping guide!