Last Updated on by Jeremy
Market Street Grocery is a small grocer located just steps away from Market Square in downtown Pittsburgh.
If you didn't know any better, odds are good you'll walk by it without giving it a second glance. Today, we want to let you know about something special that is tucked away at the back of the store- a beautifully stocked wine bar!
The Wine Bar at Market Street Grocery
The interesting thing about this wine bar is that it is exclusively stocked by Collefrisio wines, a winery from Abruzzo, Italy.
At some wine bars serving only one estate may be a detriment as vineyards often only produce a small number of varietals at any given time.
That is not the case here.
This bar is home to about 30 different kinds of wines, including the full spectrum of red, white, rose, sparkling, and even dessert wines! Going further, the winery produces a number of different vintages of Montepulciano, such that you can really taste your way around one particular kind of wine if you were so inclined.
In addition to wine, the bar has a modest menu full of cocktails with local spirits, Pennsylvania beers, and more (however, we have to admit, we'll likely always go for the wine).
This is all music to our ears, but for a real treat you need to visit this one at happy hour.
You Must Visit for Happy Hour
Happy Hour at The Wine Bar is among the best in the city for wine, and there are a few fairly good reasons for that.
- First, happy hour is Monday through Saturday, 5 to 7 pm (yes, Saturday happy hour!)
- Second, special prices are $5, $10, and $15 a glass depending on varietal and vintage, which can be discounts of up to $7 a glass.
- Finally, good happy hours are few and far between downtown- especially for wine.
Suffice it to say, the huge price savings for happy hour at The Wine Bar makes it an alluring choice for us while exploring downtown.
Overall, while The Wine Bar at Market Street Grocery only serves wine from one vineyard, this one really makes it count and offers a really wonderful drinking experience in a rather unlikely place.
Don't miss it the next time you are downtown!
The Wine Bar is located in the back of Market Street Grocery at 435 Market Street near Market Square.
Help us out! When visiting local businesses or attractions, be sure to say you found them on Discover the Burgh!
Looking for a Pittsburgh hotel? Check out our favorites below!
- Hampton Inn - Free parking in Downtown/Strip District
- Embassy Suites - Stellar views in many rooms, all from high floors
- Sheraton Pittsburgh - Excellent city view in river view rooms
- Hotel Monaco - A great value option Downtown (and dogs stay free)